Bonding, a simple dental treatment that improves the appearance and function of teeth, is one the more common cosmetic dentistry services that dentists provide. Honolulu, HI, dentist Dr. Wynn Okuda discusses the bonding process and explains how it can improve your smile.
Cosmetic bonding offers the ideal way to repair or enhance teeth
Bonding involves using a material called composite resin to repair damaged areas or change the way teeth look. The plastic-based material is soft and flexible when it's applied to your teeth. In fact, it looks and acts very much like putty. Thanks to its flexibility, it can be manipulated into the exact shape needed to fill in chips or cover discolorations.
Composite resin is available in many tooth-colored shades to ensure that your dental work won't be obvious. Exposing the resin to a curing light hardens it and ensures that it's capable of withstanding normal wear and tear. After making a few adjustments, your dentists polishes the tooth to complete the process.
Bonding is a versatile dental treatment
Bonding is an effective treatment for several types of cosmetic issues, including:
- Discolorations: Bonding conceals discolorations that make you feel self-conscious about your smile.
- Gaps: Eliminating slight gaps between teeth is a simple as applying a little bonding material.
- Too-Short Teeth: Have your teeth decreased in length due to your grinding habit? Bonding lengthens teeth shortened by enamel erosion. Because continued grinding may eventually affect the bonded area, we may recommend a nightguard when you visit our Honolulu office.
- Crooked Teeth: Bonding can straighten the edges of crooked teeth. It's a good option if you only have a few crooked teeth, and your bite isn't affected. If all or most of your teeth are crooked, you may benefit from orthodontic treatment.
- Chips, Cracks and Breaks: Bonding is often used to restore teeth damaged by cracks, chips or breaks. In some cases, it may even be possible to reattach the broken portion of your tooth with bonding.
Would you like to find out if bonding is the ideal cosmetic dentistry treatment for your problem? Call Honolulu, HI, dentist Dr. Wynn Okuda at (808) 734-1099 to schedule an appointment.